The First Month

Day 2 after the accidentThe accident happened on 20 November 2011 and I was in the Trauma Unit of the Alfred Hospital before moving to a rehab hospital. Whilst in the Trauma Unit I had two operations one to pin my collarbone together and the other to wire my hand bones together. The collarbone surgery was two days after the accident and was rather traumatic. After the surgery my blood pressure went “through the roof” and they feared I was about to have a stroke. My wife was urgently called to the recovery room. Luckily the treatment worked and all turned to normal.

I haven’t mentioned that I am a bit of a fitness nut and this has influenced my recovery. I was never going to sit and wait for it to happen. As soon as I was told to get out of bed and try to move, I was at it. Sometimes to my own detriment. Nevertheless I remember staggering around the ward trying to convince everyone I was getting better. It was horrible how you can be reduced so quickly from extremely fit to a staggering mess. It was only months later that I realised how sick I was.

My wife convinced the doctors that I was not able to go home and I needed to go to rehab. She was correct and rehab provided an opportunity for  me to learn how to cope with one arm that didn’t work at all. It was not only the inability to do simple tasks but getting my head around the dramatic change this was going to make to my, and my family’s life. The rehab staff where fantastic, especially the young physiotherapist, Nicky, she was amazingly supportive for one so young. She understood all the issues spinning around my head. All you want is someone to be able to tell you if and when there will be any improvement. The reality is no one knows until there is some detailed imaging and testing done. What is important is that people are honest with you, and if possible, give you hope. That is exactly what Nicky did! The neuro-psychologist meetings where  the most dreaded. As I had a brain bleed they kept testing me for the its impact. My word retention skills were diabolical, however my numeracy skills created records. Something to do with being a maths teacher. I suspect there was little impact from the accident, but that was not their prognosis. Who knows!!

After two weeks I was out of rehab ready to tackle the world of home. I was keen to get home, although a little nervous of what lay ahead.My wife Kerry then stepped in and took over my management. She is amazing at organising and I was able to sit back and focus on recovering. The next weeks seemed filled with medical appointments. They seemed endless and told me little about my hopes for recovery until I met my surgeon.

About Craig Glass

I am a 68 years old. I am Senior Vice-Principal of Haileybury, Australia's largest private school. My passion outside of family and education is triathlon. I have raced over all distances with the highlight being completing the Ironman in 2011. Whilst training for my next Ironman I had an horrific accident which left me with a left brachial plexus injury.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The First Month

  1. Choosing to document your journey as a blog is wonderful. I can already thank you on behalf of many other patients that have so often asked me if there was a blog they could read. You are an inspiration to many patients and an absolute pleasure to work with. Keep up the hard work as your journey is not yet complete… a few more hills yet to conquer!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s